Wednesday, October 20

Who would be the best friend?

The press is interested in whether Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Kerry could be friends. So who do they ask?

In an interview with USA Today, Mrs. Kerry said of Laura Bush
"...But I don't know that she's ever had a real job — I mean, since she's been grown up. So her experience and her validation comes from important things, but different things. And I'm older, and my validation of what I do and what I believe and my experience is a little bit bigger — because I'm older, and I've had different experiences."

I'm not sure just what having a "real job" has to do with anything. Is the implication here that if you don't run a multi-billion dollar corporation board (and she doesn't even do that), you don't have a "real job?" Is a woman only validated by a job? That's what that statement said to me: You're not valid if you don't have a "real job." I suspect she wouldn't call motherhood a real job -- and probably doesn't consider teaching a worthy occupation. But I'm reading too much into what she said.
Later she apologized, saying she "forgot" about Mrs. Bush's eleven year teaching/librarian career.

Mrs. Kerry prides herself on being a "say-what-I-think" kind of person and, obviously, she thinks she's better than Mrs. Bush (and just about everyone else, judging from her behavior). Mrs. Kerry (who insists upon being called Heinz-Kerry, which says an awful lot about what she really respects)simply doesn't value the kinds of things Mrs. Bush does. Things like consideration, politeness, sensitivity to others -- the very things that make not only a great First Lady but a first-rate person.

There's no place in international diplomacy for brashness, self-aggrandizing, insensitivity and selfishness, all qualities amply displayed again and again in this campaign, not only by Mr. and Mrs. Kerry but by Mr. and Mrs. Edwards as well.

I would treasure a friendship with Mrs. Bush, with whom I have a lot in common besides our backgrounds -- a love of music, art, books and reading, a respect for history. I would have no interest at all in being friends with Mrs. Kerry whose main interest seems to be in money.

This campaign has shown quite a difference in the candidates: President and Mrs. Bush have demonstrated intelligence, compassion, morality and a depth of character the American people haven't seen in the White House in a decade. Mr. and Mrs. Kerry look like a rerun of the Clintons -- shallow, ambitious, selfish and pseudo-intellectual.
Also, the Kerrys surround themselves with the sleaziest characters in the Democratic party like Terry McAuliffe, David Boies, Sandy Berger and James Carville. I know who I want in the White House!


No comments: