Wednesday, December 1

Take That, ACLU

The following is from NewsMax.com -- Mike Gallagher's response to America's Scrooge, the ACLU. The words are Mike's, the sentiments are mine.

"'Tis the season: The Christmas lights are up, the malls are playing carols, and somewhere in America, the ACLU is filing another lawsuit over someone having the nerve to try and celebrate Christ's birth.

The American Civil Liberties Union seems to delight in this relentless onslaught of litigation and persecution every Christmas season. And this year, it's worse than ever. Some town puts up a nativity scene, the ACLU files suit. Some hapless Santa attempts to explain the meaning of Christmas to a grade school student, the ACLU demands his termination.

Heck, even a Christmas tree causes these people to break out in a rash. The ACLU isn't allergic to pine needles, just the simple, beautiful public expression of celebrating Christmas the way this country has done for generations.

Just like clockwork, I read about the ACLU's latest anti-Christmas gripe and my blood boils. This year, I've decided to do something about it. I've asked my radio audience to help me send a message to the ACLU, a message that might not get them to change their position, but one that could strike a chord with Americans who are as fed up with their tactics as I am. You can help, too.

I've launched the "Merry Christmas, ACLU" project. I'm collecting hundreds and hundreds of Christmas cards from people all over the country. The ground rules for the cards are simple: be certain they have a Christmas theme, not some secular, watered-down one; write a personal message to the ACLU so you can let them know how you feel; and send the cards to me so that I can personally deliver them to their national headquarters in New York City sometime early next year.

I'm hoping for a "Miracle on 34th Street" type of response. Remember at the end of that Christmas classic how bags and bags of mail to Santa Claus were dumped on the judge's desk? In just two days, I've already received over 1,000 cards. We're off to a great start.

Oh, and I think I've figured out a way to force the pinheads at the ACLU to open each one: I'm told that a few listeners might enclose a check to "donate" to the ACLU's pitiful causes. Never one to miss an opportunity to collect money, I'm certain that the very possibility might be enough to make them open them all. Now, I clearly cannot promise that those few checks will ever clear the bank, but hey, one never knows ...

If you agree with me that it's time to stand up to the ACLU, feel free to send me as many Christmas cards as you can. Some listeners have sent me 25 or 50 at a time. Remember, make sure each one is hand-written by you and contains a message to the ACLU. Send your Christmas cards to:

Mike Gallagher's "Merry Christmas, ACLU!"
c/o The Mike Gallagher Show
6400 N. Beltline Rd.
Irving, Texas 75063

Again, I'll be sure to take all the cards we collect and drop them off at the ACLU's national headquarters. While this effort might not change their tactics, trust me, it feels great to be able to get off our chests how we feel about these folks, and even better to think of some sour-pussed ACLU employees sitting in a room opening card after card, hoping for a donation that might be mixed into all those wonderful Christmas messages from America's heartland.

Think of this as a type of silent yet powerful protest against the way the ACLU continues to try and hijack the spirit of the Christmas season each and every year.

Good things are happening in America: The economy is bouncing back, the war on terror continues to be an effective one, and Howard Dean is the best thing the Democrats have to offer. Take a minute this holiday season and let me show the ACLU how you feel about them.

Oh, and Merry Christmas (so sue me)!"

And that goes double for me. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and celebrate Christmas.

What I think I'll do is send the ACLU notes and cards and letters throughout this Christmas season. If you're interested in doing the same, their office addresses are:
New York:
American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
E-mail: media@aclu.org

Washington:
American Civil Liberties Union
915 15 th Street, NW, 6th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
E-mail: media@dcaclu.org

Seems to me that a little real Christmas cheer is just what Scrooge needs; even the Grinch eventually came around!

No comments: